15 Best Easy Fixes To Speed Up Your Slow Computer
Speed Up Your Slow Computer
Sometimes an irritating problem occurred on a computer which is, slow Windows computer. When you using a slow computer in a hurry and your program like MS Word & Excel, will not be opened fast in or take few minutes to open it, then the problem will turn into a big trouble. for you.
If you try some fixes to solve the problem, you do not need any computer technicians, you can solve the problem easily, here we tell about 15 fixes you can try to speed up a slow computer, they are…
CLOSE SOME PROGRAMS ( Slow Computer Cause One )
When so many programs running on your computer at a time and if they are big in size & they use 99% of your CPU and it is a big reason for a slow computer. Find out what programs are running and how many system resources they’re consuming by this process:
- Press the Windows logo key and X at the same time on your keyboard, and click on Task Manager or press Ctrl + Shift + Esc at a time.
- Click the CPU column header, and you will see the list about which programs are using your computer’s processor the most.
- Click Memory or Disk respectively to see which programs are using the most RAM, or reading and writing to your hard disk the most often.
- After discovering the program(s) which is hogging your computer resources, then shut down it through, switch to the program, and close it by clicking the X at the top right of the program. Normally, it refuses to shut down by this normal process then you select it from the list in Task Manager and click End Task for a force close.
REDUCE THE NUMBER OF PROGRAMS RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND ( Slow Computer Cause Two )
After turn on your computer, some programs often run invisibly in the background if there are some necessary programs keep them thair and you should disable the other unnecessary programs, to disable the other unnecessary programs follow the way which we mentioned under:
- Press the Windows logo key and R at the same time on your keyboard and type msconfig or in windows search box type msconfig.exe and then press Enter.
- After that go to the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager and next click on the programs you don’t want to start when Windows Starts and click Disable, finally.
DISABLE SOME BROWSER EXTENSIONS ( Slow Computer Cause Three )
To disable some browser extensions follow this:
- For Firefox User: In the Firefox browser’s address bar copy and paste about:addons and press the Enter. Next, on the left side of the window, click Extensions and Plugins and see all your add-ons, then select the ones you don’t need and click Disable or Remove to disable or you can uninstall them.
- For Google Chrome User: Copy and paste chrome://extensions/ in the Chrome address bar and press Enter, then you can see all your extensions and disable one by the untick the Enabled checkbox and if you want to remove one then click the trash icon.
TURN OFF UNNECESSARY ANIMATIONS ( Slow Computer Cause Four )
If your computer has limited memory (RAM) and you keep on the visual effects such as animated windows to give a great look, then it should be a big reason for a slow computer. Here we give an easy technique to turn off it, thus you can get a faster computer, the technique is:
- Press the Window logo key and S at the same time on your keyboard and then type optimize visual and click on optimize visual display. After that, scroll down a little bit and tick the checkbox for Turn off all unnecessary animations.
- Finally, click on Apply and OK and save the change.
CHECK YOUR ANTIVIRUS SCHEDULE ( Slow Computer Cause Five )
A proactive antivirus program is a very good thing but a full system scan or a virus definition update, these background activities can cause for a slow computer. Antivirus programs don’t always do these things at convenient times, by default.
They may be scheduled to happen at 3 pm on a Friday. To make sure the full system scan and virus definition update check the settings of your antivirus program because the schedule can occur at a time when you won’t be using your computer so, you must check the schedule and can change the time as you wish.
[NOTE, some antivirus programs don’t let you change the schedule then you should consider switching to a different antivirus program like as, BitDefender Total Security.]
RUN A VIRUS SCAN ( Slow Computer Cause Six )
You need to check that virus scan for this run a full system scan with a trusted antivirus program because if your computer is infected by viruses or malware then it gives a slow computer in
To solve the virus problem, you should definitely install an antivirus program, like as, AVG, Malwarebytes, Norton, BitDefender Total Security, Quickheal Total Security or Avira, most of them provide you a 30-60 day free trial and very reasonable subscription prices. If you install more than one, they may conflict with each other.
UPDATE YOUR DEVICE DRIVERS ( Slow Computer Cause Seven )
You should ensure that all your drivers are correct and up to date because if your device drivers are too old for your current operating system then it definitely gives you a slower computer. You can update them either manually or automatically, described as under:
Automatic Driver Update
- At first, download and install the Driver Easy or DriverPack Solution, then run the software and click on Scan Now button.
- After that click on Update. All flagged devices to automatically download and install the correct version of their drivers.
Manual Driver Update:
Go to each manufacturer’s website to update your drivers manually and searching for the most recent correct driver for all your devices, for example, video card, sound card, printer, monitors, mouse, keyboard, network card.
[NOTE: You may need to try both the manufacturer of your PC and also the manufacturer of the component itself for some drivers.]
UNINSTALL UNNECESSARY PROGRAMS ( Slow Computer Cause Eight )
To uninstall so many installed unnecessary programs take a look at the process, which mentioned as under:
- Press the Windows logo key and S at the same time on your keyboard and type add remove and click on Add or remove programs. Thereafter click to highlight a program you no longer need and click Uninstall.
- When the uninstall will be finished, repeat the same process and uninstalled all programs you don’t need or use for many days.
CLEAR TEMPORARY FILES ( Slow Computer Cause Nine )
Temporary files are files that Windows and your installed applications create automatically during ordinary operation, but which they only need for a short period., these files would be automatically deleted when they’ve served their purpose but sometimes this not happen, they’re left to build upon your hard drive. To clean your hard drive, follow this:
- Press the Windows logo key and R at the same time on your keyboard and type %temp% (temp, prefetch for advance cleaning) and press on the Enter key.
- Next, to select all the files press the Ctrl key and A at the same time, and to delete them press the Delete or Shift + Delete for permanently.
- When you will do these you will get a message saying a file or folder is in use, click Skip, then the file won’t be deleted but you can get it next time.
- If you’re clearing your temp files regularly then it should take only a few seconds to delete them and if the files are large in size then it can take a few minutes to delete them.
INCREASE YOUR VIRTUAL MEMORY ( Slow Computer Cause Ten )
Virtual memory supplements the physical RAM installed on your computer, which makes accessing files and programs faster. To add more virtual memory follow the process:
- Press the Windows key and Pause /Break key at the same time on your keyboard, then on the left panel click on Advanced System Settings.
- Next, go to the Advanced tab and click on Settings and after that go to the Advanced tab and click on Change.
- Then, make sure the checkbox for Automatically manage paging file size for all drives is NOT ticked.
- After doing above all this, select your Windows hard drive or partition that has Windows installed on it – usually C:\ and click Custom size and enter an Initial size and Maximum size for your virtual memory,
- Maximum Size: It should be about 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM. e.g. A PC with 4 GB (4096 MB) of RAM should have no more than about 6,144 MB virtual memory (4096 MB x 1.5), don’t set this value too high.
- Initial Size: This value depends on your computer.
5. Finally, after entered your virtual memory values, click on Set then click on OK.
COOL DOWN YOUR COMPUTER ( Slow Computer Cause Eleven )
The overheated computer definitely works very slow, then you should track your PC’s temperature with a program like CAM.
- The computer’s internal fan gets louder the reason is, it may be spinning faster try to cool down the system.
- You can get a ‘blue screen of death’ error and a sudden restart.
- The mouse and keyboard stop responding.
These above signs are works as the warning that the computer is overheated. If you will see the sings on your computer then you should reduce the computer’s temperature with these procedures, they are:
- Firstly, check if the computer’s ventilation is clear and clean, because it may be clogged with dust and fluff.
- Next, check if your cooling fans are working properly because if the cooling fans are not spinning fast, freely with a loud noise, then you should replace them.
- Another way to reduce your computer’s temperature is you should reduce the temperature of the room.
You need to consult your PC retailer or manufacturer or your local computer repair shop if your PC is still running too hot after doing above these works.
VERIFY THE INTEGRITY OF YOUR HARD DISK ( Slow Computer Cause Twelve )
An aged hard disk can give a slow Windows, it also can slow the drive significantly, and to solve this you should do a ‘check disk’ (aka ‘chkdsk’):
- Press Windows logo key and X at the same time on your keyboard and then click Windows Power Shell(Admin).
- When prompted to provide administrator permission, click Yes.
- Type chkdsk and press Enter on your keyboard, then the disk scan will start.
DEFRAGMENT YOUR HARD DISK ( Slow Computer Cause Thirteen )
When you store any file or folder it cannot save in one place its called ‘Fragmentation‘ This can really slow your computer down, so you can use to defragment (aka ‘defrag’) your hard drive, the way is:
- Firstly, if you have any open programs or files, close them all and, Press the Windows logo key and S at the same time on your keyboard and then type defrag and click on Defragment and Optimize Drives.
- Next, select the drive you want to defragment, and click on Optimize option.
[NOTE: Please ignore this fix if you have a solid-state drive (SSD), as it may harm the drive.]
UPGRADE OR RESET WINDOWS ( Slow Computer Cause Fourteen )
The Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 users must upgrade your operating system to the latest version available today which is, Windows 10 because these old versions of Windows were not designed to work with most of the latest designed software.
If you are already on Windows 10, then firstly back up all your data and then you must try resetting it to get a clean computer with free of problematic software and device drivers.
The OS users need to check if your current devices meet the requirements of the update before you upgrade your OS.
UPGRADE SOME HARDWARE ( Slow Computer Cause Fifteen )
If above all fixes cannot make your computer faster then you must focus on your hardware.
An insufficient amount of RAM, a damaged video card, tired cooling fans could be causing your computer to run slow and to solve the problem you have to replace each component until your computer’s performance returns to normal. You can also contact your local computer repair shop to get those computer’s parts.
SUBSCRIBE & SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS.
FEEL FREE TO COMMENT.