Most Useful Cortana Tips And Tricks You Should Know
Our today’s topic is about ‘what Cortana can do on Windows 10‘, or you can say some useful Cortana tips. Before starting this discussion I just want to say a few lines about ‘Cortana‘ for those who don’t have any idea about it. Firstly, you need to know what is ‘Cortana‘? before you know some tips for Cortana.
Cortana is created by Microsoft, for their Windows Phone 8.1, Windows 10, Windows 10 Mobile. In one word, Cortana is a virtual -assistant. Most probably, in the year 2014, April, at Microsoft BUILD Developer Conference in Sun Francisco, the ‘Cortana‘ was displayed for the first time.
The ‘Cortana‘ is able to call up Microsoft Band, Android, iOS, Xbox One, Smart speaker, Amazon Alexa, Windows Mixed Reality, and Surface Headphones. The most important capabilities of ‘Cortana‘ are situated below, you must know them.
Read Also: Cool Useful Slack Tips You Should Know
TIPS OF CORTANA AND IMPORTANT CAPABILITIES ARE
A. DO SPECIFIC SEARCH
Many time search results are not accurate as you want to see, there were many irrelevant results come in front of your eyes which are not required, and required things not come quickly. You can solve this problem by ‘Cortana‘, very easily. You have to narrow down your search queries through some specific groups, like operators, categories, locations, etc.
In the ‘operators‘ group, you can search using file names, wildcards and extensions, and standard arithmetic operators.
In the ‘categories‘ group, you can search in a specific category through writing a category followed by a colon (:) and your query to get the category-based result, quickly. You see the below-mentioned categories, as examples.
- DOCUMENTS: WINDOWS 10
- WEB: WINDOWS 10
- MUSIC: ROLLING STONES
- PHOTOS: NATURE
- APPS: EDGE
- SETTINGS: DISPLAY
- VIDEOS: VACATION TOUR
- FOLDERS: BLOG
In the ‘location‘ group, you can search in a specific location such as Windows store or local storage drives, OneDrive, the Internet, etc.
B. TRACES FLIGHTS AND COURIERS
The Cortana is capable to do another important thing, it traces can auto-tracks the flights and couriers along with details which found in your configured email, and if it’s information not found in your email then you can also track the information manually.
It supports tracking couriers from services like DHL, FedEx, UPS, and retailers like Amazon, Walmart, eBay, and more well-known flight operators.
- In the Cortana’s search box, type the flight or courier tracking number.
- Next, Cortana validates the information click on ‘Track your package’. [NOTE, THIS STEP IS ONLY FOR COURIER PACKAGES]
- You can see then the search result under the Best match.
C. MANUALLY TRACK PACKAGES
You can track packages manually by doing the following steps.
- Press Windows key + S to open Cortana.
- Type the tracking ID of the package.
- When Cortana validates the information then click ‘Track your package’.
Alternatively, you can do followings:
- Press Windows key + S to open Cortana.
- In the navigation pane, click on the Notebook button.
- Thereafter scroll down and click Packages.
- Then, assure that you turned on the Package Tracking cards option.
- Next, click add a package, and enter the tracking information and click the result to properly add the ID.
- Finally, click on save.
D. MAKE REMINDERS BASED ON LOCATION
The Cortana allows you to set a reminder to do something at specific locations on your PC and you will get the reminder on your phone at a particular location.
As an example, you can say HEY CORTANA: REMIND ME TO BUY A SHOWPIECE WHEN I AM IN GIFT SHOP.
E. MAKE REMINDERS BASED ON PERSON
This is also the same as above, you can set a reminder for the person to remind something important. Then that reminder will pop up when you receive a call or message from the person.
As an example, you can say HEY CORTANA: REMIND ME TO GIVE THE SHOWPIECE TO JUN.
F. MAKE OTHER REMINDERS
You can set a reminder based on time on Cortana very easily, just similar as above.
As an example, you can say HEY CORTANA: REMIND ME TO WISH ANNIVERSARY TO CHERRY AT 12 AM, 19 DEC.
G. TRANSLATE PHRASES AND WORDS
If you speak or type a phrase in the Cortana search box it would translate that. The Cortana can translate sentences and phrases in 50 languages. For example, you can say to Cortana’s search box, ‘How I say welcome in the Bengali language?’, ‘Translate nice to meet you in Japanese’.
To translate using Cortana, do the following steps:
- Click in Cortana’s search box.
- Then, type ‘Translate’ and enter the phrase ‘to French’ or other languages.
H. USING CORTANA SEND AN SMS TEXT MESSAGE FROM YOUR PC
Cortana can also capable of sending messages to someone you will want to text.
To send messages,
- Only use the Windows key + S and open Cortana.
- Then, type Send the text to followed by the name of the person in your contact list and press the Enter button.
- Type your text message in the provided box and then click Send.
Or, as an alternative, you can say Hey Cortana: Send text and follow the on-screen instruction, then Cortana would send an SMS depends on the information in your contact list.
I. KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
The Cortana is enough intelligent to understand some keyboard shortcuts, and that helps people very much.
Let’s know which shortcuts are they and what can they do:
- Windows key + C keyboard shortcut helps to open Cortana in listening mode.
- Windows key + S keyboard shortcut helps to open the Cortana home screen directly into typing search mode.
J. DISPLAYS SONG LYRICS
The Cortana is able to show you the lyrics of your favorite music and music videos, and that is possible in two simple ways.
Do only these two simple things,
1. Chick in the Cortana’s search box,
2. Type or say “Lyrics of” followed by the song’s title and “by” the artist’s name.
K. SEND EMAILS
Sending an email without opening a browser or an email client is possible for Cortana, but must note it would not possible if your email account not configured with Cortana. You have to say your mail requirements and the Cortana will send email to the particular person in a very easy way.
Do the following steps if you want to send emails using the Cortana:
- Firstly, click inside the Cortana’s search box, and speak or type “Send an email to ” followed by the recipients.
- Again type or speak “saying” followed by the email’s content or body.
- Next, to edit after composing the email say “make changes”.
- Finally, send the email by saying “send”.
I hope you found this useful Cortana tips, useful, so to stay with us do subscribe and share.