WhatsApp’s Condition For Share Public Links
WhatsApp’s Condition For Share Public Links: In India, the WhatsApp is a very popular app. It supports some important features such as group chats, calling, messaging with a significant number of users and very recently it comes with a feature which is payments, so, it is a super app.
WhatsApp promises for complete protection of your data. But it is not as secure as they claim, according to Vivek Wadhwa, a Distinguished Fellow at the Carnegie Mellon University of Engineering at Silicon Valley. Though it promises end-to-end encryption but its a fact that there a question arise about WhatsApp’s data protection.
A report on VentureBeat, Wadhwa talks about WhatsApp on a draft paper, how anyone on the internet can get invite links of open WhatsApp groups and join them to check on all the new messages and phone numbers of the group members. WhatsApp spokesperson said, “ invite links were an optional feature available to group administrators but it must be used only with trusted individuals”.
A statement has been released by WhatsApp saying that, its Group Chats feature is safe, saying that invite links are an optional feature available to Group admins and must be shared with trusted sources. Your comment on this.
WhatsApp defines stand stating, “The privacy and security of our users are incredibly important to WhatsApp. Whenever a new member joins a group all members receive a notification that includes whether the person was added via group link or by an administrator directly. Group members can always see everyone in the group including their phone number and their name. We make it easy to leave a group or block unwanted messages with one tap.”
There some risk can arise if you, join groups in which you do not know every participant because those unknown participants can watch your postings on the platform and contact directly on their mobile phones and your status also displays to someone you don’t know. These problems are very serious WhatsApp should keep this sensitive information such as phone numbers private.
WhatsApp’s Condition For Admins To Share Public Links Only With Trusted Users In Group Chats
- Indian online users are heavily invested in WhatsApp and given the lax nature of most Indians when it comes to data and user privacy, do you believe that people will actually delete WhatsApp and look at alternatives. Especially when everyone they know and care about is on this platform?
Indian users will learn over time what dangers are posed by the compromise of their personal information and lax regulation of social media companies. They have not had their elections hacked yet.
- With the ‘Group chats’ feature being not secure, how can malicious actors use that to manipulate voters in general elections next year?
In a group, anyone could learn about your views and they can target you based on your phone number, via Facebook this work became very easy for them to take that phone number and access a person’s profile and friend lists. Indians get inundated with SMSs from marketers if they were profiled by malicious players and threatened or encouraged to do bad deeds.
- Considering India is approaching general elections next year, what according to you are the key concern are and how must Facebook go about tackling these issues?
Every news story is clearly false and they grow on WhatsApp/Facebook network which will be held by WhatsApp/Facebook and they must responsible for this. A fine of Rs 50 lakh for every post that isn’t deleted within 2 hours. WhatsApp should also not be allowed to share any type of information with Facebook or any other company.
- Will merely using artificial intelligence and increasing the security team strength help mitigate the spread of false?
Surely it helps. Human intervention is needed to supplement this.
- Facebook-owned WhatsApp is used extensively to spread the fake news as has been experienced in the past in India, and since it is end-to-end encrypted, it adds another layer of complexity. So what are the challenges must be addressed?
The company can certainly develop the tools to prevent the spread of hatred and like as China India can also develop its own alternative technologies. Through end-to-end encryption is only on the communications lines if the fake news is spread in groups and shared messages, there is no security in these as you have seen.
SUBSCRIBE & SHARE